Thursday, September 20, 2012

Lolita Letters: Posh Pen Pals

I have always adored sending handwritten letters on cute stationary with little surprises (stickers, nail stickers, packets of glitter, paper dolls, lightweight jewelry etc) tucked inside. I am fortunate enough to have several Japanese Pen Pals, Natsumi (whom I have not exchanged letters with in a while to be perfectly honest), Yuuki, and Hiko. I write my letter first in Japanese on the front side of the stationery and then I write my letter again with the English translation. Yuuki and Hiko do the same thing where as with Natsumi and I the way we write our letters with a mix of English and Japanese goes back and forth.

After it had been a few weeks since my latest letters to them I wondered how much fun it would be to have letters that arrive much faster than theirs. I hunted online for pen pal exchanges for several weeks and found lots of websites but they all produced low results. It wasn't until I found Lolita Letters that my dreams were answered. The livejournal has dedicated the ENTIRE journal to finding pen pals that are Lolitas (and many of the girls also adore fairy kei!!)  Girls from all around the world are requesting pen pals! The States, England, Italy, and so the list of countries go on! This is so amazing because it helps you get over the big barrier of trying to find something in common. YOU BOTH LOVE LOLITA or perhaps fairy kei.

So I HAD to respond to a several adds and by several I mean every add where I met the requirements that had been posted within the last four months. I also put up my own add and have acquired several responses. Yesterday I received two letters in the mail that inspired me to talk about this website and sending letters in general. Below is a picture of the letters with the confidential information blurred.


When these arrived in my mail box I smiled with delight as if I had finally gotten a long lost parcel in the mail. (My massive order of cute earbuds YOU WILL ARRIVE SOME DAY ~~ TT ^ TT Although the seller did refund me since it is taking over 35 days.) I hurried inside and opened the letters only to be as thrilled as I had been by their mere outer appearance.  LOOK AT HOW CUTE THESE ARE!!


One of the senders whom I shall refer to as Posy (since it is her lolita nickname) didn't use cute stationary. It was a plain white envelope and paper. Yet with the magic of a few colored pens she had created a one-of-a-kind personalized envelope and stationary. So for those of you who are timid to start sending letters just because you don't have a stationary set please do not be afraid. Sending letters is more about the content than what it is written on. 

So I wrote replies to both letters. Posy wrote a wonderfully long letter so I had a lot to comment upon. I used 18 pieces of stationary for the reply!! However that is due to my huge handwriting and the fact that the design of a lot of the sheets takes up a lot of space and I try to avoid writing over the top of the pretty pictures. I am so lucky that Posy lives only and hour or so away from me so hopefully we can run into each other in the future for lolita meet ups. I won't share the content of the letter because I don't want to embarrass her. ^^;; Below is what I tucked into my letter for Posy. First I stuck in my letter since it was very bulky and took up a lot of space. Next I stuck in two other pieces of stationery goodies that come when you buy big packs from Japan. One is just a small booklet in which I wrote the name of this blog so Posy could check it out for fun since she is building her lolita wardrobe and I thought this blog could be helpful to her. ^^ <3 Next I stuck in another goodie that has a beautiful picture of a carnival. (Both goodies are a part of the Funny Park collection which is what I wrote part of the letter on.) Lastly I stuck in giant bunny stickers! It also has strawberries, hearts, and more bunnies.



I also added special things into the other letter that I sent out. The female will remain unnamed unless she comes to my blog and mentions in her next letter that using her name is fine. So for now I will just refer to this kindhearted girl as an ambiguous "she". Her letter featured both Little Twin Star and Pretty Ice since she is so into Fairy Kei and Lolita. I stuck in an origami ice cream (which came from a large stationery set), a cutesy small memo note that links to this blog, cute bear & strawberry stickers and Hello Kitty & Mimi paper dolls.




I know that the goodies weren't anything extra special this time around but I enjoy giving people gifts and spreading smiles.  I am so lucky to have to girls very near my age (one is 17, I am 18, and one is 19) that love lolita culture as much as I do. Both of them wrote very sweet letters and have darling personalities. If you are looking for lolita pen pals I suggest taking a look at the website because everyone there is very nice (that I have come across so far).

I am curious to know how many of the readers are pen pals. If you have a pen pal are they too a lolita or fairy? Is your pen pal from another country? Have you ever met your pen pal in real life? Have you ever sent gifts to a pen pal and if so what did you send? Have you ever received anything special in a letter from a pen pal? What is your favorite letter that you have ever received from someone, did it contain cute stationary, a touching story, or an awesome gift? If you don't have a pen pal you can always list what you would like in a pen pal or what you would love to send and receive.

Have fun and happy writing ~ ~